Tuesday April 12 2016 11:17 AM
John Dolan independent vocational candidate
Latest update 28th April: John Dolan elected on the Administrative panel
John Dolan is running as an independent vocational candidate on the Administrative panel for Seanad Éireann election to give a necessary voice to the 600,000 people with disabilities and their families in Ireland. John's campaign manifesto 'Bringing Disability Inclusion to Where People Live' is available here.
You cannot vote for John, but he is seeking your support in lobbying the very few who can (only members of the City and County Councils, the recently elected TD's and the existing Senators get to vote). Phone them, text them and best of all talk to them or get someone who knows them to do so. Then let John know.
'I am originally from Tipperary and have polio since childhood. I have been the CEO of the Disability Federation of Ireland since 2000, and am a well known disability inclusion advocate. Previously I worked for 20 years with the Irish Wheelchair Association. I have a comprehensive understanding of issues across the movement. DFI, with over 133 voluntary disability organisation affiliates, supports the inclusion interests of people with disabilities and their families in Ireland.
I have been active in the development of the National Disability Strategy. I have been at the forefront of many innovative developments seeking community inclusion for people with disabilities. I was a member of the National Economic and Social Council from 2003 until 2010 and I have much experience working at the European level.
As a Senator I will support the inclusion of people with disabilities and their families through working for ‘a whole of government’ approach, as well as the involvement of communities in planning and decision-making in respect of policies that affect them. I am seeking your support so that together we can:
- Give the 600,000 people with disabilities a voice.
- Keep the pressure on to ensure ratification of the UN CRPD.
- Assist and facilitate members of the Seanad and Dail to support the disability movement and to progress disability inclusion at local level where people live.
- Seek to ensure full participation for people with disabilities in the local community.
- Strive to ensure that disability is included in all mainstream plans at local and national policy levels.
What can you do to support my campaign?
- Contact your local City and County Councillors, TD's and Senators
- Get others to do same on behalf of the 600,000 people disabilities who cannot vote and seek a number 1 vote for John Dolan.
- Contact me if you can assist in any way with the campaign.
To learn more about the campaign or to get involved
Phone: 086 795 7467 or (01) 454 7978