Occasionally a person with MS or another neurological disease may need to be referred to an urologist by either their GP or neurologist for assessment of their kidney and bladder function, if any difficulties in this area occur.

The major role of the urologist is to try to identify why the patient is experiencing these difficulties. In most situations, these problems are controlled with the use of tablets following appropriate tests.

Despite the urologist being a surgeon, medical treatment e.g. tablets, which improve the person's situation quite dramatically, is the most common approach.

The intervention of the urologist is generally of great benefit to the person with MS and bladder symptoms.